Wednesday 17 April 2013

He Loves His Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much,

One of my readers sent this in seeking some opinion on how to go through his plight.

Hello. I have been dating my girl for about five years now. I proposed to her and she agreed to marry me. However after fixing the date from the traditional Wedding, her parents are asking for five million naira as Bride Price. I told my girlfriend to appeal to them to at least reduce it to two million but her parents refuse. They say its an extended family decision like her Uncles and other relatives. I don't understand. I love my girl and she loves me. She's from Orlu, Imo State. I need your advice. Thanks

Footnotes:
Some in laws are senseless. Is bride price now a wind fall? What sort of rubbish is that? Them want make e feed the wife wit air after e marry her finish? That is why i love my Yoruba folks. In most cases the parents return the bride price to the husband telling him to just take care of her cos their daughter is not for sale. Aside the traditional yams, boxes of cloth and drinks nothing more. I think I recall my elder sisters marriage; the bride price was set at N3,500 in addition to the Grooms family bringing a few items and the native Pig that is customary to my clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Comment